MicheleinNZ

words from a Christian, a wife, a mother, a reader.

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Cloth nappies and dead birds

I was just outside hanging up the cloth nappies to dry (you know it's summer when you can hang clothes out at 3 pm and bring them in at 6 pm and they're bone dry. Gotta love it!) and almost stepped on a dead baby bird. Ick.

We have a plethora of birds that live around our house, in the many trees in our yard and in the yards of our neighbours. They also like to hang around on the gutters of our roof, making little click-click-click noises early in the morning. These beautiful little birds (I love listening to them when I get up in the morning to pray), unfortunately, attract all the neighbourhood cats. I don't mind that the cats come in our yard because they're peaceful and we don't have a cat that would then need to protect its' territory (not sure about that last apostrophe). BUT... what happens when a cat finds birds? IT WANTS TO EAT THEM. Or at least play deadly games with them. I'm afraid that a cat found a nest and decided to play with the helpless little birdies while their mother had gone out to find food. I gingerly moved the dead little birdie (so young it had no feathers) with a laundry peg away from the main playing area. The last thing I want to hear today is "Mommy, why doesn't this bird have any feathers?"

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hooray - you're here!!! I'm thrilled to read you - will be back often. :)

4:39 PM  
Blogger MicheleinNZ said...

Thanks for the encouragement, Dawn.

5:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Summer sounds so good right now :)
I miss the beach!

8:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw! I hate to find dead little harmless things. I cried once when my cat killed a big toad (played with it to death) in our garage. I was pregnant, true, but it was still sad to me. I think I've seen one-too-many Disney movies.

:)

5:39 PM  
Blogger MicheleinNZ said...

I know what you mean, Cordy. When we lived out in the country briefly our cat had an absolute ball attacking small birds. I found probably 3-4 a week in the yard in various states of 'disrepair'. Sometimes it made me so sad, particularly when they were young ones.

5:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home