MicheleinNZ

words from a Christian, a wife, a mother, a reader.

Saturday, December 09, 2006

This morning we went out to the chicken farm belonging to some of our friends from church. We needed to chop wood for the winter, of which they have plenty, and we also needed to do a bit of work in the joint vegetable garden that we planted on their property. We figured that they had the space as well as a ready supply of fertiliser so we work together on the garden. While Jeremy chopped wood, I worked in the garden, mostly picking vegetables. I got more spinach than I know what to do with, a cabbage, and two broccoli. I also had a quick look at the potatoes. I don't think there are actually any potatoes growing, much to my keen disappointment. Jeremy says of course there aren't any potatoes yet, we have to wait for the plants to flower. Huh. Maybe there is something to that.

After working at the farm for a bit we came home and decided to attack our completely overgrown, almost-jungle like garden. I started hacking away and Jeremy piled up the cuttings and put them into the recycle container. Although I know I worked really hard because I smelled like it, I can't actually see much of a difference except in the shrub by the back door. I wish I had a before and after photo to show you. Imagine a big shrub with a crewcut. That's the closest description I can come up with. And the number of snails living in that shrub is amazing! But at least it's now shorter than I am, although I'm proud to say it's still much fatter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home