MicheleinNZ

words from a Christian, a wife, a mother, a reader.

Friday, December 08, 2006

While attempting to put my oldest daughter to sleep for her afternoon nap (she's 3) I'm pretty sure that I committed an extreme parenting faux pas. I believe the words out of my mouth sounded something like this "Lay down and close your eyes or White Bear's gonna get it!" Her immediate response was not one of compliance, but rather wide-eyed horror and screaming NOOOO!!! as she attempted to retrieve said bear from my hands before he lost an arm. I wish that I could blame this example of poor parenting on my disastrous dentist appointment this morning where I found out my procrastination is going to cost $2000 in order to fix my neglected tooth. Or perhaps I could blame it on the weather or on my pregnancy. But, unfortunately, I have only myself to blame. But as I sit here typing I think about something I pray with her almost every night "Thank you, God, that you love us even when we do things that are wrong." Thank you Lord for your eternal, unconditional love. May I show the same love to my children.

And yes, she did eventually lay down. If she's sleeping is yet to be determined, but sometimes I just settle for what I can get.

4 Comments:

Blogger MicheleinNZ said...

Just a test comment

1:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It would seem we should put "white bear" on the endangered species list

1:57 PM  
Blogger MicheleinNZ said...

Yes, either that or on the waiting list for restorative surgery.

2:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think we've all done things we regret as parents, the good news is she is likely to forgive and forget. in fact my mom was talking about some of her parenting "mess-ups" with me and I couldn't remember any one of them,(not even getting dropped on my head :)

Mrs N

6:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home